getting it right

13 April 2009

tosh, bosh, flotsam & jetsam

I spent Easter by myself, in my house. Looking back, it feels a bit like Sixteen Candles. All of my holidays since Christmas have been non-existent. It's actually starting to freak me out a little bit.

I had a long nap followed by a Starbucks energy drink, so now in addition to not having the motivation to work I have no interest in sleeping. I did photograph all of my recent art work for a presentation I have to give Tuesday (or Thursday?) about an artist that inspires my work. It feels pretty conceited to be comparing his work to mine, but I do feel connected to him in some ways.

ALIKE:
• urban themes
• self-portraiture
• screenprinting
• found imagery/ephemera
• we're the geighs, allegedly

DIFFERENT:
• object- and concept-oriented vs. idea-oriented
• art as commodity vs. art conveying an experience
• lacking artist's hand vs. markmaking as identity/identification

It's a little discouraging to look at my work as a whole because it is so disparate and all over the map... stylewise, subject matter, etc. One of my feelings in the ongoing debate of "should I be an artist? should I be a designer?" is that I think I could contribute to the art world and the world as a whole with my art. When I think of being a designer, I think about getting a steady/-ish paycheck, having weekends off, and spending two weeks a year out of the country. But I think the art that I've made very recently feels "designed" more than purely intuitive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home